27 January 2013

three ladies

i'm excited i was able to pump out a little art quilt this week, just in time to enter it in persimmon dreams "project quilting" challenge! we had a lot of other stuff going on, including hours on the phone trying to sort out an insurance/home medical supply disaster, dealing with highly inappropriate behavior coming from one of our home health nurses, a feeding clinic appointment, an outpatient EKG (for a two year old--not as easy as it sounds!), and a regular doctor's appointment. coupled with the usual work/clean/cook excitement that goes on around here, I'd say it's pretty amazing I got anything extra done at all! but here it is:

three ladies

the challenge was called "my favorite color," and the rules were to use only white and shades of one other color. i hate using white in my quilts, so it was not easy for me to do! but i'd say it turned out okay. other than the fact that i need a little practice with the binding part of things (see the wonky upper right hand corner). i was also excited to get to try out some hand embroidery techniques, and to use my free-motion quilting foot! and i suppose i should pause for a moment to express my undying love for a substance called "wonder-under," which has the amazing ability to turn any old piece of fabric into an iron-on. so basically, if you can draw (or trace) it, you can put it on your quilt. the inspiration for these lovely ladies came from a mannequin i have hanging on the door of our "beach bathroom" (i.e. the semi-private concrete-floored bathroom in our basement).

so the image went from this:


to this:


to this:


and these girls happen to look quite nice in my kitchen window!
 
 
 
and, while i have a lot more to say about my lovely quilt, the little guy is up, and telling me "mommy bubbles. mommy bubbles." so i guess it's bubble-blowing time. see ya later!



No comments:

Post a Comment